While TIAC is focussed on growing Canada’s tourism industry, we also keep track of our sector on an international scale. This helps put Canada’s tourism industry in perspective.
On October 10th, the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) released its World Tourism Barometer report for the first six months of 2018.
- International tourist arrivals grew 6% in the first six months of 2018 after a record year of growth in 2017;
- All world regions enjoyed robust growth in tourist arrivals in January-June 2018;
- Europe and Asia and the Pacific led growth with a 7% increase in arrivals each;
- The Middle East and Africa also recorded sound results with arrivals growing at 5% and 4%, respectively;
- The Americas saw 3% growth in arrivals over the six-month period, driven by South America (+7%) and North America (+5%).
Continued global growth of tourism is good news for Canada’s tourism industry and bodes well for the sector’s future!