Members Area English | Français

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

What Your Customers Need to Know

What is it?

The eTA is an entry requirement for air travellers from countries that currently DO NOT need a visa to visit Canada (excluding US citizens). The eTA can be obtained online through a short application form on the Government of Canada’s website and electronically linked to your passport number.

When was it implemented?

eTAs mandatory as of November 10th, 2016.

Who does it affect? Need an eTA? Notes

Citizens from countries that currently DO NOT need a visa


This includes (but not limited to) tourism target markets such as most E.U. countries, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

If these citizens are only transiting through a Canadian airport to a third international destination.


If these citizens are entering Canada by land (e.g. car or bus) or sea (e.g. cruise ship).


US Citizens


US permanent residents DO need an eTA to fly to/through Canada.

US Permanent Residents (Green card holders)


US permanent residents must show a valid a passport from their country of nationality and their U.S. permanent resident card (Green Card).

Dual Canadian Citizens


As usual, Dual Canadian citizens will need a valid Canadian passport to fly to Canada.

Canadian Permanent Residents


As usual, Canadian permanent residents must show a valid permanent resident card or a permanent resident travel document when travelling to Canada.

Citizens from countries that currently DO need a visa*


Still need a visitor visa.

*Note: some Brazilian, Bulgarian and Romanian citizens may be able to apply for an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport if they meet certain requirements.

If these citizens are only transiting through a Canadian airport to a third international destination.


Still need a visitor visa, unless they are participants in the Transit without Visa or the China Transit Programs.

How long will the eTA be valid?

An eTA can be valid for up to five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport, you will need to get a new eTA. With a valid eTA, you can fly to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time).

How can my customers obtain their eTA?

Travellers should apply online for an eTA only via the official Government of Canada website. They will be asked to input the following basic information:

  • Name
  • Nationality
  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • City of birth
  • Marital status
  • Passport number
  • Passport issue/expiry dates
  • Country of issue for passport
  • Occupation, job title
  • Company/school name
  • Country of employment/school
  • Yes/no questions on: previous denials of entry, criminal record, and tuberculosis.
  • Indicate if you are filling the form out on behalf of another person

Travellers can use a debit or credit card to pay the CAD $7 fee and have the confirmation emailed to them. While most eTAs are approved within minutes, some eTA applications can take several days to process.

eTAs can also be obtained via smartphone or tablet. This means that if a traveller has forgotten to obtain an eTA, they will be able to do so at the airport. However, it is strongly recommended that eTAs be obtained at least 72 hours before booking any travel.

The eTA application guide is available in a number of languages, however the application form is only available in French or English.

For more information see

I’m a tour operator, can I fill in the eTA for my customers?

Yes, as long as you have all required information and indicate you are filling the form out as a representative when asked. Only authorized representatives can charge a fee for this service. If applying on behalf of clients, make sure to use your clients’ email address so the Government of Canada can communicate directly with them, if necessary.