Founded in 1930 to encourage the development of tourism in Canada, TIAC serves today as the national private-sector advocate for this $91.6 billion sector. Based in Ottawa, TIAC takes action on behalf of Canadian tourism businesses and promotes positive measures that help the industry grow and prosper.
TIAC is responsible for representing tourism interests at the national level, and its advocacy work involves promoting and supporting policies, programs and activities that will benefit the sector's growth and development.
TIAC's membership reflects partnerships among all sectors of the industry, and provincial, territorial and regional tourism associations, enabling the association to address the full range of issues facing Canadian tourism.
Mission, vision, values
Our mission: To strengthen Canadian tourism through industry leadership and member-driven advocacy.
Our vision: We strive for tourism to be the leading industry in Canada; and Canada to be a leader in world tourism.
TIAC values: These values reflect our internal culture and guide our actions.
LEADERSHIP – Act on behalf of the industry –as the national voice of Canadian tourism, we take a proactive, efficient and trust building approach to address industry needs around a common vision.
EXCELLENCE – Do your best – from services to events the quality of our work surpasses expectations and cultivates a culture of integrity and accountability for each and every action.
COLLABORATION – Be a team player – balancing common interests and individual points of view, we have a collaborative culture that builds partnerships and coalitions that encourage participation, engage into action and strengthen our mission.
INNOVATION – Focus on progress– we connect industry to a world of opportunity, promoting measures that increase Canada’s global competitiveness and drive visitor growth.
- Secured permanent base funding for Destination Canada funding to $95.5 million per year;
- $8.6 million dedicated to Aboriginal Tourism development through Indigenous and Northern Aﬀairs Canada;
- $13.6 million dedicated to Statistics Canada’s collection of tourism statistics, including provincial data collection;
- Signiﬁcant investments to maintain Parks Canada land and the Trans-Canada trail;
- Significant infrastructure investments supporting tourism industry;
- Successful Trade Mission to China in October 2016 through government funding to offset costs for SMEs;
- Announcements for 7 new visa application centers (VACs) in China;
- Promoted and achieved the expansion of the number of Visa Application Centres (VACs) to 135 worldwide;
- Mexican visa requirements lifted completely, and Brazilian, Romanian and Bulgarian visas lifted for eligible travellers;
- TIAC’s recommendations to reduce aviation costs in the Canada Transportation Act included in expert panel’s ﬁnal report;
- Introduction of new ten-year multiple entry visa, facilitating repeat visitors to Canada in select markets; and more …
About our Membership
TIAC's membership is as diverse as our country itself. We represent:
- Over 400 members and thousands of affiliate members from coast to coast to coast
- Over 1.6 million Canadians whose jobs depend on the economic activity generated by travel and tourism
- Large national and multinational companies as well as small- and medium-sized enterprises
- Airports, attractions, concert halls, convention centres, duty-free shops, festivals & events, restaurants & foodservices, arenas, transportation, travel services, travel trades, destination and provincial/territorial marketing organizations, suppliers, travel media, and educational institutions
For additional information
Vice-President, Marketing & Member Relations