Province: Sun Peaks, British Columbia
Deadline: October 31, 2023
Posted: October 11, 2023
Job Description / Duties
The President is responsible for the operations and day-to-day management of all Tourism Sun Peaks activities. The President reports to the board of directors and is accountable to stakeholders including members and funding partners. The President is responsible for formulating and recommending a strategic plan to the Board of Directors. The achievement of the approved objectives will be the primary responsibility. The President will oversee the implementation and monitor the progress of these plans which are reviewed and updated on an annual basis, thus acting as the framework upon which the association operates.
The President will oversee and monitor the operating and capital budgets and will present financial, statistical and operational reports to the Board at regular intervals through the year. Executive responsibilities are combined with supporting tactical and operational executions such as event activations and marketing campaigns.
Finance and Administration
• Responsible for overseeing annual creation of a budget of approximately $3M
• Works with the Director of Finance and Administration to produce monthly financials for review by the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors
• Manages reporting related to funding, including all MRDT (Municipal and Regional District Tax) requests and reports
• Works with department heads to create, manage and adjust budgets as required
• Oversees all HR policies
• Provide guidance, leadership, motivation and training for the entire team
• Works closely with the Board of Directors to determine corporate policies and supports the Board in the fulfillment of governance responsibilities
• Manages and upholds organizational bylaws to ensure appropriate legal and ethical compliance at all levels
Strategy and Planning
• Facilitates an annual strategic planning session with the Board of Directors and other plannings sessions as needed
• Leads the creation of departmental/ organizational plans to support the overall strategy approved by the Board of Directors
• Develops and submits annual MRDT marketing plans, budgets, and results for approval by the Ministry of Finance/Destination BC
• Develops and submits 5 year MRDT renewal plans and budgets for approval by the Ministry of Finance/Destination BC (next plan will be due in 2026).
• Creates and maintains positive stakeholder relations with key external industry groups including the Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association (TOTA), the BC Destination Marketing Association (BCDMOA), Destination BC (DBC), Destination Canada (DC), the Tourism Industry Association of BC (TIABC), the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC) and others.
• Creates and maintains positive stakeholder/member relations with key internal groups including the Sun Peaks Mountain Resort Municipality (SPMRM), Sun Peaks Resort LLP (SPR), Community Organizations, Tourism Sun Peaks members and others
• Develops and maintains direct contact with members and builds productive relationships
• Ensures regular communication of organizational initiatives to members/stakeholders
Marketing, Events, Destination and Market Development
• Works with the marketing team to create brand awareness and visitation to Sun Peaks through advertising, content marketing and other activations
• Plays a key role in the development of an overall approach to events, including leading a resort-wide events committee, helping create events that drive visitation and create a positive guest experience, and overseeing event execution and budgets
• Ensures Market Development department builds strong relationships with airline, tour operator and travel agent partners to effectively promote Sun Peaks in overseas markets through training and education, direct sales and cooperative marketing programs.
• Ensures destination development efforts focus on key areas of concern, such as air and land transportation
• Acts as the key spokesperson for Tourism Sun Peaks with media and key partners and manages crisis communications as needed
Research and Product Development
• Oversees performance data reporting including occupancy reporting, winter and summer surveys, transient inventory and other research projects as required (i.e. value of tourism reporting, ROI reporting on events)
• Recommends product enhancements to the Board of Directors to improve in-resort product offering (if/when budget allows)
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Degree in marketing, communications or tourism. Master’s degree preferred.
• 10+ years of progressive experience and track record of success at senior levels
• Association management and governance experience
• Proven ability to lead an organization with varied stakeholders and external third parties
• Demonstrated ability to drive growth and advance business objectives
• Tourism experience essential, mountain resort industry knowledge strongly preferred
• Substantial experience in strategic development and execution
• Strong ability to influence direction in a positive light with a sense of vision through key decision making processes
• Results oriented and takes personal initiative
• Interpersonally savvy and a team player
• Experienced collaborator in partnership settings
• Excellent negotiation and influencing skills in a variety of environments
• Strong work ethic with high energy and a high cadence
• Superior written, verbal and presentation skills
• Intelligent, analytical and thoughtful
• Enjoys being with people and in the public eye
• Embraces hands-on involvement in organizational or community initiatives
Apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31, 2023.
Company Overview: Sun Peaks Mountain Resort Association dba Tourism Sun Peaks (TSP) is a destination marketing and management organization mandated to promote the resort to the world. Founded in 1996, TSP is a not-for-profit, membership-based organization with 1,500 members representing accommodations, attractions, restaurants, retail and homeowners.
Our Purpose: to increase brand awareness and visitation to benefit stakeholders and members, and to support a positive guest experience.
Our Mission: to inform and inspire travellers to choose Sun Peaks, and to support Sun Peaks’ brand promise in order to encourage repeat visitation
Our Vision: to be the destination of choice for travelers seeking a remarkable mountain resort experience.
Our core activities and departments include marketing, media relations, destination and market development, events, research and finance and administration.