Province: Edmonton, Alberta
Position: Director, Destination Strategy
Deadline: July 24, 2023
Posted: July 7, 2023
Job Description / Duties
The Destination Development and Marketing Portfolio is seeking an experienced Director, Destination Strategy. Reporting to the Executive Director, Destination Stewardship, the Director, Destination Strategy will oversee all aspects of the implementation of Edmonton’s 10-Year Tourism Master Plan (TMP). This work is a priority for Edmonton and the region to ensure its competitiveness and tourism industry continues to grow. This is a uniquely focused position, and will bring together stakeholders, developers, industry partners, strategic vendors and leaders in the destination management space. The Director will build relationships with our key provincial and national tourism partners to identify funding and alignment opportunities.
The Director, Destination Strategy will foster cross-functional teams, working groups, subject experts and will effectively utilize the knowledge-based resources of all groups within Explore Edmonton to achieve the initiatives outlined in the TMP activation plan. This role will bring strategy to life, with long-game vision and experience. This position will build taskforce teams within the organization, depending on specific areas of expertise; it also oversees the research and performance management function and will leverage those insights to deliver on the Tourism Master Plan.
The successful candidate will:
• Ensure the TMPs 10-year promise is delivered. Lead the execution of Explore Edmonton’s destination development strategy to further visitation growth, image, and reputation development through the lens of the TMP.
• Represent the organization on industry committees, boards, industry events and when appropriate, at City platforms.
• Work cross functionally to build alignment with tourism industry initiatives and Explore Edmonton’s TMP strategic priorities.
• Build and leverage the City of Edmonton relationships to enhance programs and initiatives within the TMP. Make recommendations on bringing elements of the TMP to City Management and Council when required.
• Build strategic partnerships in the industry and community to further deliver on the TMP.
• Identify opportunities to leverage and grow funding from public and private sector channels.
• Engage stakeholder groups in the strategic planning process, including residents, tourism operators, sector organizations, industry partners, city staff, government officials.
• Assist with shaping the policy and business environment to support continued growth of the visitor economy and its contribution to the region.
• Work to build out the research function across the organization.
• Seek funding for the sustainability of the TMP programs through City of Edmonton, PrairiesCan and other external channels.
• Contribute to the strategic orientation and success of the organization.
• Ensure outcomes of projects and initiatives align with group objectives, targets and expected results.
• Develop business plans, prioritize opportunities and allocate appropriate resources to deliver on priorities and unit plans.
• Align and motivate team members towards achievable outcomes. When creating teams and working groups, inspire through thoughtful conversation.
• Respectfully leads, directs, motivates, and empowers, mentors and coaches team members to build a culture of accountability.
• Contribute complete, Board ready updates to quarterly and annual reports, meetings and deadlines.
Qualifications / Required Skills
The successful candidate will have:
• Post-secondary degree in Tourism and/or Destination Management, and/or business management. Candidates with an ongoing or completed CDME is preferred.
• A minimum of Five years in a leadership role, managing teams and driving change management. Project management is key to being successful in this role.
• Minimum five years, more preferred in DMO strategic roles
• Experience dealing with Senior Leadership in organizations, City Administration, elected officials is an asset.
• Ability to create and bring highly effective teams together is required
• Strong stakeholder relations experience
• Ability to inspire, motivate and mobilize resources to achieve desired outcomes
• Strong ability to manage collaboration projects, with differing levels of scope and responsibilities
• Ability to manage and speak to a diverse portfolio of projects and initiatives, and ability to set and communicate project deliverables, parameters and deadlines
• Demonstrates and maintains high initiative, personal leadership, employee engagement and professional integrity
• Possess a broad understanding of the Edmonton region and its many facets including business, government, institutions, etc.
• Ability to interpret, analyze and clearly communicate data, trends and information to a variety of audiences
• Keen ability to identify and implement workflow and process improvements
• Senior level experience in managing business development opportunities across diverse stakeholder interests.
• Keen ability to leverage networks to maximize partnership opportunities.
• Proficiency with Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel)
How to Apply
If this role piques your interest, please submit your cover letter, and resume and let us know how you feel you could make an impact. Please submit your interest no later than July 24, 2023.
Explore Edmonton encourages, supports, and celebrates a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the city we promote and where our employees feel safe and supported every day.
We are Edmonton’s Destination Management and Marketing Organization (DMMO). We also manage two of Edmonton’s award-winning venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and the Edmonton EXPO Centre. We tell Edmonton’s tourism story, elevate the Edmonton experience, and drive inbound visitation and economic impact in the visitor economy.
Working together in a one-team approach aligned by our core values, Explore Edmonton’s business units’ market and sell Edmonton as a year-round destination to visit, work, and play in while also developing products and experiences that have a uniquely Edmonton flavour. And by incorporating the management of the city’s two award-winning venues into Explore Edmonton, we are uniquely positioned to attract major events, meetings, and conventions to our city, generating greater economic impact. While Explore Edmonton’s mandate is focused on generating inbound visitation, what we do and how we do it also enhances and amplifies the quality of life for Edmontonians. The people who live here are our greatest ambassadors, so making it easier for them to love our city makes it easier for us to sell it.
The Destination Development & Marketing Portfolio includes business events, sports and culture, event development, marketing and destination management. The team is focused on driving sustainable, year-round visitation through programs and initiatives that positively impact Edmonton’s image and awareness in regional and international markets. More specifically on the destination development side, we are shaping Edmonton’s future tourism ecosystem through its Tourism Master Plan and destination strategy work. We work closely with local businesses, ground operators, attractions, experience providers, developers and event producers to help develop products and experiences that are authentic to Edmonton.