Province: Markham, Ontario
Position: Business Development Manager
Deadline: August 31, 2022
Posted: June 23, 2022
About Destination Markham
The Destination Markham Corporation (DMC) is an arm’s length municipal corporation founded as the destination management organization (DMO) for the City of Markham.
Destination Markham’s purpose is to promote Markham as a remarkable destination for visitors, including tourists, sport and festival attendees, meeting, and conference delegates, and business travelers.
The key tourism objectives are to research, develop, market, and grow Markham’s tourism/visitor economy. DMC collaborates with Markham’s hotel & hospitality industry, festival-event conference-travel planners, attraction operators, cultural institutions, sports tourism promoters, entertainment and recreation providers, food service businesses and the City of Markham.
Reporting to the City Lead – Destination Markham, and collaborating with the Business Manager, the Business Development Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of a pro-active B2B sales and marketing strategy for a specific market segment/geographical area that attracts Meetings, Conventions & Incentive Travel business (MC&IT) and Events to Markham.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Generate new MC&IT and events business for Markham;
• Promote Markham’s business travel products and services to MC&IT decision makers;
• Establish, foster and maintain networks, contacts, and relations with: The MC&IT industry including associations, corporate accounts, third party meeting planners, incentive houses and industry organizations, Markham MC&IT suppliers including meeting venues, hotels, attractions and event management companies;
• Work closely with Markham’s tourism industry to develop selling synergies and a “Destination Markham” in market presence;
• Research, analyze and develop sales leads to generate RFP’s;
• Liaise and coordinate with clients to ensure they have the necessary information and support during the destination selection process;
• Provide assistance in identifying local expertise (champions) to help facilitate bids;
• Qualify, input and maintain detailed client account profiles on a CRM system;
• Identify, implement and evaluate sales and marketing initiatives;
• Maintain a thorough knowledge and understanding of the needs of the client and the current products offered by the local hospitality industry;
• Gather, analyze and interpret market intelligence pertaining to the MC&IT market conditions, clients and competitors;
• Provide input on an ongoing basis to the sales and marketing strategies and tactics including budget considerations for the MC&IT market;
• Represent at trade shows, conventions, and industry events;
• Join and actively participate as a member in key industry organizations; and
• Assist with special projects as assigned.
• Post-secondary education in a related discipline (i.e. sales, marketing, tourism, hospitality management) with a proven track record of sales growth achievements in the hospitality/tourism industry;
• Minimum of 7 to 10 years of industry sales experience, preferably in the hospitality/tourism and MC&IT market;
• High energy, positive, self-motivated individual who has the ability to work independently and within a collaborative team environment;
• Knowledge of Markham's MC&IT product and services is an asset;
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of the Canadian Tourism sector and superior track record in attracting conferences, meetings and events in a specific Canadian Market.
• Must work well under pressure and have the ability to multi-task;
• Strong negotiating abilities with superior closing skills;
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills with well- developed
• Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office and CRM software; Detail and customer service oriented;
• Event planning and logistics experience would also be an asset;
• Availability to work some irregular hours and weekends as required;
• Require domestic and international travel
• Presentations to various stakeholders requiring standing and orator capabilities
• Valid driver’s license to commute to various stakeholder sites
• On-demand to respond to after hour communication issues and/or requests
• Work remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19
HOW TO APPLY
The Talent Company is our recruitment partner and please send your resume with cover letter to email@example.com. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Destination Markham Corporation offers a competitive compensation based on the experience and proven track record.
Destination Markham Corporation will require 3 references.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
The Destination Markham is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are committed to building and maintaining collaborative, caring and positive work environments so that our employees bring their whole selves to work every day. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status or disability.
The Destination Markham is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known and we will work with you to meet your needs.
The Destination Markham is dedicated to being a great place to work and to take care of our people. The health and wellbeing of our employees and customers is our top priority in this unprecedented time. We have been following the guidelines of the Ontario Ministry of Health and will continue to do so. Employees will be expected to provide proof of vaccination and maintain fully vaccinated status. Before arriving onsite for an interview, please discuss our health and safety protocols related to interviewing.