Founded in 1930 to encourage the development of tourism in Canada, TIAC serves today as the national private-sector advocate for this once $105 billion sector. Based in Ottawa, TIAC takes action on behalf of Canadian tourism businesses and promotes positive measures that help the industry grow and prosper.
TIAC is responsible for representing tourism interests at the national level, and its advocacy work involves promoting and supporting policies, programs and activities that will benefit the sector's growth and development.
TIAC's membership reflects partnerships among all sectors of the industry, and provincial, territorial and regional tourism associations, enabling the association to address the full range of issues facing Canadian tourism.
Vision and Mission
Our vision: To lead the Canadian tourism industry to be the most competitive in the world.
Our mission: To be the voice of Canada’s tourism industry and improve its global competitiveness as an international destination through leadership and advocacy.
- Secured permanent base funding for Destination Canada funding to $95.5 million per year;
- $8.6 million dedicated to Aboriginal Tourism development through Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada;
- $13.6 million dedicated to Statistics Canada’s collection of tourism statistics, including provincial data collection;
- Signiﬁcant investments to maintain Parks Canada land and the Trans-Canada trail;
- Significant infrastructure investments supporting tourism industry;
- Successful Trade Mission to China in October 2016 through government funding to offset costs for SMEs;
- Announcements for 7 new visa application centers (VACs) in China;
- Promoted and achieved the expansion of the number of Visa Application Centres (VACs) to 135 worldwide;
- Mexican visa requirements lifted completely, and Brazilian, Romanian and Bulgarian visas lifted for eligible travellers;
- TIAC’s recommendations to reduce aviation costs in the Canada Transportation Act included in expert panel’s final report;
- Introduction of new ten-year multiple entry visa, facilitating repeat visitors to Canada in select markets; and more …
About our Membership
TIAC's membership is as diverse as our country itself. We represent:
- Over 600 members and thousands of affiliate members from coast to coast to coast
- Over 1.8 million Canadians whose jobs depend on the economic activity generated by travel and tourism
- Large national and multinational companies as well as small- and medium-sized enterprises
- Airports, attractions, concert halls, convention centres, duty-free shops, festivals & events, restaurants & foodservices, arenas, transportation, travel services, travel trades, destination and provincial/territorial marketing organizations, suppliers, travel media, and educational institutions
For additional information
Vice-President, Business Development & Member Relations