Province: Edmonton, Alberta
Position: Indigenous Tourism Manager
Deadline: January 28, 2022
Posted: January 17, 2022
Job Description / Duties
We are searching for an Indigenous Tourism Manager with lived cultural experience for our Destination Development team.
The Destination Development team is focused on strengthening Edmonton experiences and events. Taking a sustainable approach to destination development, our team looks to holistically impact the visitor economy from destination, community and environmental perspectives, protecting our unique sense of place and benefitting our cultural and natural assets. We work in partnership with local businesses, ground operators, attractions, experience providers and festivals to enhance existing and develop new experiences and events that are authentic to Edmonton, to meet the needs of guests, visitors, and stakeholders.
Reporting to the Manager, Destination Development, the Indigenous Tourism Manager will support the implementation of Explore Edmonton’s Tourism Master Plan, as well as the commitments in the Memorandum of Understanding with Indigenous Tourism Alberta, by identifying and building relationships with Indigenous communities, developing Indigenous tourism experiences which integrate multiple areas of tourism, have a hands-on learning aspect and help non-Indigenous stakeholders integrate and connect with the Indigenous community and tourism businesses in an authentic and appropriate way. The Indigenous Tourism Manager will play a consultative role in providing advice on building meaningful Indigenous relations for Explore Edmonton and stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
● Connecting and engaging with Indigenous communities, businesses and partners to learn about Indigenous tourism objectives/aspirations and support a sustainable tourism economy
● Following protocol, strengthen relationships and partnerships with Indigenous communities and businesses in the region, representing Explore Edmonton and Region at community meetings and events with Indigenous leadership, community members and businesses
● Working collaboratively with Indigenous Tourism Alberta (ITA) on initiatives for the growth and promotion of Indigenous Tourism in the Edmonton region
● Connecting Indigenous communities and Indigenous tourism businesses to programs and resources that support the growth and development of their businesses and tourism in the region, including experience development and training programs, capacity-development, and marketing and social media campaigns
● Ongoing development and management of the inventory of Start-Up, Visitor-Ready, Market-Ready and Export-Ready Indigenous tourism experiences in the region which authentically reflect the ongoing contributions of our Indigenous peoples, culture and history and showcase Edmonton’s Indigenous history and heritage
● Manage Indigenous experience pilots including participant list, coordination at pilot, feedback gathering and delivering feedback for the Operator to support improvement
● Identify and deliver educational opportunities such as workshops and support the delivery of Indigenous awareness training for stakeholders
● Support the advancement of Indigenous cultural competency throughout the organization and with our industry stakeholders
● Manage unit budget, reporting and contacts in database system
Qualifications / Required Skills
The successful candidate will have:
● 5+ years of professional experience in strategy development with Indigenous communities/businesses
● 2+ years of managerial experience leading projects with skills in planning, organizing and managing resources
● Post-secondary education in tourism, marketing or business preferred
● Thorough understanding of Edmonton’s tourism industry an asset
● Excellent communication skills including writing, public speaking, presentation, and facilitation
● Ability to create and maintain effective and credible relationships with Indigenous leadership, tourism industry leaders and entrepreneurs
● Strong skills in time management, organization, prioritization and taking initiative
● Proficiency with MS Office Suite of Applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word)
● Frequent travel in the Edmonton region - driver’s license required. Potential for travel within Canada
● The successful candidate will be required to disclose COVID-19 Vaccination Status
We are Edmonton’s Destination Management and Marketing Organization (DMMO). We also manage two of Edmonton’s award-winning venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and the Edmonton EXPO Centre. We help tell Edmonton’s story, elevate the Edmonton experience, and drive inbound visitation and economic impact in the visitor economy.
Working together in a one-team approach aligned by our core values, Explore Edmonton’s business units’ market and sell Edmonton as a year-round destination to visit, work, and play in while also developing products and experiences that have a uniquely Edmonton flavour. And by incorporating the management of the city’s two award-winning venues into Explore Edmonton, we are uniquely positioned to attract major events, meetings, and conventions to our city, generating greater economic impact. While Explore Edmonton’s mandate is focused on generating inbound visitation, what we do and how we do it also
enhances and amplifies the quality of life for Edmontonians. The people who live here are our greatest ambassadors, so making it easier for them to love our city makes it easier for us to sell it.
The Destination Development & Marketing Group is focused on driving sustainable year-round visitation through programs and initiatives that positively impact Edmonton’s image and awareness in regional and international markets. More specifically on the destination development side, we help develop and showcase the amazing tourism experiences Edmonton has to offer visitors.
Explore Edmonton encourages, supports, and celebrates a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the city we promote and where our employees feel safe and supported every day. If this role piques your interest, please click here to submit your cover letter to let us know how you feel you could make an impact, along with your resume. This role will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible as first interviews will commence in late January.