Province: Ottawa, Ontario
Position: Vice President, Policy and Government Affairs
Deadline: July 12, 2021
Posted: May 5, 2021
Job Description / Duties
The incumbent will:
• Lead the development and execution of precise and impactful government affairs strategies, building coalitions and consensus across stakeholder groups that make a positive impact on the tourism industry in Canada.
• In collaboration with the President & CEO, build influential relationships with government ministers, key members of the opposition, staff and bureaucratic decision makers to ensure that TIAC is at the heart of the public policy and economic discussions.
• Ensure that policy and government strategies are in synergy with key communications targets to ensure maximum coverage and exposure to further TIAC’s policy goals.
• Build a broad range of industry and third-party stakeholders to generate consensus, influence outcomes, and build relationships with new and existing stakeholders.
• Lead policy consultation exercises with members and stakeholders to ensure that the association is accurately representing the industry to government and stakeholders with timely and relevant information.
• Track and respond to government consultations, ensuring that TIAC’s policy recommendations are delivered across all ministries and department.
• Help develop and execute TIAC’s media relations and membership development strategies.
• Support the delivery of TIAC programs and ensure brand reputation.
Qualifications / Required Skills
The ideal candidate will:
• Possess 5-7 years of experience in public affairs and government relations
• Demonstrable experience of working in a legislative environment and a track record of taking conceptual policy ideas through policy development, stakeholder consultation to the passing of legislation
• A proven track record of building exceptional relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders
• Excellent judgement, acts with professionalism and integrity and demonstrates leadership qualities in challenging environments
• A strong understanding of the tourism industry, the short-term challenges posed by COVID-19 and the systemic challenges to growth and expansion
• A critical thinker that can understand and act to address short-term challenges whilst also recognizing long term trends and obstacles
• Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to take complicated information and disseminate it clearly to a variety of audiences
• A strong communicator in both of Canada’s official languages
• Media relations not mandatory but would be considered an asset
Competitive compensation with excellent benefits, great colleagues and an excellent work environment.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Qualified candidates should apply no later than July 12, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org, 116 Lisgar Street, Suite 600, Ottawa, Ontario, K2P 0C2.
The Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC) is the only national advocacy organization representing the full cross-section of Canada's $105 billion tourism industry. Reporting to the President and CEO, the VP, Policy & Government Affairs will play a key role in fostering the expansion of Canada’s most important service export industry through the recovery from COVID-19 and into the future.