Province: Ottawa, Ontario
Position: Vice President, Events & Engagement
Deadline: June 24, 2022
Posted: June 7, 2022
Job Description / Duties
The Vice President, Events & Engagement is responsible for elements of the organization’s events (conferences, trade shows, road shows), from concept to execution:
- Provide pro-active leadership and strategic directorion for all TIAC events, and be able to share this with the team, the board and volunteer committee members.
- Ensure all events have clear goals, a demonstrable strategy, and measurable objectives.
- Lead all event related meetings and ensure proper communications with President and CEO and staff regarding event goals, responsibilities, and follow‐up.
- Develop comprehensive plans and timelines for events.
- Work with the Communications Team to curate and deliver event collateral in line with brand guidelines; track invitations and registrations and provide post-event analysis.
- Liaise with the Sponsorship & Partnership Team to ensure events are appropriately schedules and executed, and that sponsor and partner benefits are delivered.
- Work with our Advocacy Team to develop new events that will augment member engagement in our policy work.
- Develop and maintain guidelines and processes to ensure consistency across all events.
- Prepare and manage department budgets.
- Develop general event management policies
- Stay abreast of trends and issues affecting the tourism industry to curate compelling programming.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with suppliers and contractors.
- Negotiate vendor contracts within strict budgetary parameters
- Manage and produce multiple events simultaneously.
- Conduct post-event debriefings to evaluate successful elements and challenged encountered, incorporating that information into the planning and executive of subsequent events
- Assess critical risk areas and develop/maintain appropriate contingency plans.
- Work with the Event manager to deliver all elements of the organization’s events (conferences, trade shows, road shows), such as:
- Event design
- Event logistics
- Exhibit hall floor management
- Speaker management
- Supplier management
- Sponsor fulfillment
- Registration management
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Minimum 10 years experience with business related meetings/events/conferences/trade shows
- Bachelor’s degree or College diploma in an event related field
- Ability to make delegates, members and vendors feel welcome
- Strong organizational, communication and follow-up skills
- Professional appearance and attitude when working with industry stakeholders and members of the public service
- High level of personal integrity, honesty and dependability
- Bilingual (French/English) a definite asset
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining a keen eye for detail
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Ability to manage time and prioritize
- A keen interest in learning and continuous improvement of processes and systems
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Must possess excellent leadership qualities
- Software knowledge:
- TEAM (meeting appointment software)
- Microsoft Office 365
This position is Ottawa based.
It is the Tourism Industry Association of Canada’s goal to be a welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from the LGBTQ2+ community and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
Please forward resume, cover letter and portfolio along with your salary expectations and possible start date by June 6, 2022 to: Julie Gauvreau, Tourism Industry Association of Canada, email@example.com or by applying directly on our website.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. vvv
The Tourism Industry Association of Canada is looking for a dynamic new team member. If you are a seasoned event professional who can bring new strategies and creativity to our association in this time of change, then you might be who we are looking for!
Our new Vice President, Events & Engagement will lead the redevelopment of TIAC’s key events while working with the team to design new ways to engage industry stakeholders and membership from coast to coast to coast.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for a prestigious events portfolio at TIAC. This includes our signature events (TIAC Tourism Congress, the Canadian Tourism Awards, and Rendez-vous Canada) plus a variety of smaller in person and virtual events held from coast to coast to coast.
You are a high achiever with demonstrable success in strategic, events-based programming. You have at least 10 years of relevant experience in the not-for-profit sector, and, hopefully, you have a comprehensive knowledge of Canada’s tourism industry. Exceptional relationship building skills and a solutions-focused manner will position you for success.