Province: Edmonton, Alberta
Position: Executive Director, Destination Stewardship
Deadline: July 24, 2023
Posted: July 7, 2023
Job Description / Duties
Reporting to the Vice President, Destination Development & Marketing, the Executive Director, Destination Stewardship is a senior leadership role, leading the holistic development and implementation of the destination strategy and destination activation functions. The Executive Director, Destination Stewardship provides senior leadership for destination strategy, destination management, research, travel trade and visitor services teams.
Explore Edmonton Corporation has taken dedicated time to build a Tourism Master Plan (TMP) and has already invested into the activation phase. The role will provide strategic leadership and visioning of our Tourism Master Plan, taking the 10-year strategy from paper to reality. We have already invested into the activation phase. We believe that until you invest time, budget and people to a strategy, then it cannot come to life.
Explore Edmonton Corporation has been entrusted with setting and delivering the vison for the destination’s look and feel. The Executive Director will be instrumental in the delivery of what Edmonton will be as a tourism destination and place to live by 2030.
For details on this position, please refer to the Candidate Profile.
Qualifications / Required Skills
Successful Candidate will have:
• Post-secondary degree or diploma in Destination Management, Tourism or related. A combination of related education and experience will be considered.
• Recognized industry accreditation such as Certified Destination Management Executive (CDME) credential considered a significant asset.
• 10 years of strategic leadership experience, managing complex business functions, with demonstrated experience in destination development, tourism, travel trade and/or marketing. Previous DMO and tourism industry experience required. Experience at a Provincial or National level considered an asset.
• Experience at the senior management level, managing complex data and research analysis required.
• Customer- and industry partner-centric. Significant experience with client management and relationship building.
• Critical thinker with an ability to demonstrate analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Outstanding demonstrated communication, presentation, and leadership skills.
• In depth knowledge of market research methodologies and applications. Knowledge of industry experts, channels and companies.
• Demonstrated experience leading major projects and strategies.
• Understands current trends, technologies, industry measures and tools used in the Visitor Economy Industry. Global experience, travel and relationships a priority.
• Ability to develop strategic plans, business plans and manage budgets.
• Strong technical knowledge of the City of Edmonton and Edmonton Tourism products/experiences is an asset.
• Proven success navigating diverse, multi-stakeholder environments. Preference given to experience across private and public sectors.
• Proficiency with Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel)
How to Apply
If this role piques your interest, please submit your cover letter and resume and let us know how you feel you could make an impact. Please submit your interest no later than July 24, 2023.
Explore Edmonton encourages, supports, and celebrates a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the city we promote and where our employees feel safe and supported every day.
We are Edmonton’s Destination Management and Marketing Organization (DMMO). We also manage two of Edmonton’s award-winning venues, the Edmonton Convention Centre and the Edmonton EXPO Centre. We tell Edmonton’s tourism story, elevate the Edmonton experience, and drive inbound visitation and economic impact in the visitor economy.
Working together in a one-team approach aligned by our core values, Explore Edmonton’s business units’ market and sell Edmonton as a year-round destination to visit, work, and play in while also developing products and experiences that have a uniquely Edmonton flavour. And by incorporating the management of the city’s two award-winning venues into Explore Edmonton, we are uniquely positioned to attract major events, meetings, and conventions to our city, generating greater economic impact. While Explore Edmonton’s mandate is focused on generating inbound visitation, what we do and how we do it also enhances and amplifies the quality of life for Edmontonians. The people who live here are our greatest ambassadors, so making it easier for them to love our city makes it easier for us to sell it.
The Destination Development & Marketing Portfolio includes business events, sports and culture, event development, marketing and destination management. The team is focused on driving sustainable, year-round visitation through programs and initiatives that positively impact Edmonton’s image and awareness in regional and international markets. More specifically on the destination development side, we are shaping Edmonton’s future tourism ecosystem through its Tourism Master Plan and destination strategy work. We work closely with local businesses, ground operators, attractions, experience providers, developers and event producers to help develop products and experiences that are authentic to Edmonton.