Province: Ottawa, Ontario
Position: Director of Events
Deadline: September 6, 2022
Posted: August 9, 2022
TIAC seeks a smart, confident, task-focused, creative problem solver and experienced Director of Events with demonstrable success in strategic, events-based programming. You will be responsible for all event management and tradeshow logistics, so the ideal candidate will be both analytical and creative with the ability to successfully deliver against multiple projects throughout the year – efficiently and effectively following a plan to meet targets and ensure a great customer experience. You are an ambitious yet sociable individual who wants to grow in a role alongside an energetic, entrepreneurial, and vibrant team.
The Director of Events will report to the Vice President of Events and Engagement, working closely with the TIAC Team and possess 6-8+ years of event management experience preferably for corporate/association-based events.
Position is located in Ottawa, working a minimum of 3 days a week in the office located 116 Lisgar St, Ottawa, ON K2P 0C2.
Event Strategy/Planning/ Logistics
- Create clear event plans and critical paths, in line with the overall event vision
- Develop and monitor event plan to ensure alignment with the business vision.
- Provide proactive leadership by planning, managing and executing TIAC’s complete portfolio of events and tradeshows with logistics/venue team, AV technicians, and speakers.
- Ensure TIAC's processes are aligned and optimised to ensure the successful delivery and performance of our events.
- Build and develop key stakeholder relationships with a solution-focused manner.
- Conduct post-event meetings for each event and create a list of objectives and improvements for future events and ensuring those improvements are implemented.
- Build, manage and motivate a high-performance team to drive the event’s growth. Direct reports include three Event Managers, each specializing/leading in one of the following management areas; Marketing, Registration or Logistics.
Working closely with the VP Events and Engagement:
- Create short to long term strategic direction and vision for TIAC's events (conferences, tradeshows, forums, town halls etc.) from concept to execution.
- Prepare, develop and oversee event budgets and ensure costs are controlled and managed effectively, including focus on cost savings.
Working with Director of Communications:
- Execute a marketing and communication plan for all TIAC events, including copywriting, website content, social media channels, newsletter content, email campaigns, print collateral and more.
Working with VP Business Development:
- Maximize revenues and opportunities through the positioning of the event.
- Ensure promised sponsor/partner benefits are delivered
*All other responsibilities, special projects and administrative support as requested by VP Events and Engagement.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- 6-8+years of event management (meetings, events (both virtual and hybrid), conferences, and tradeshows) preferably for corporate/association-based conferences
- Successful completion of bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Project Management and/or Marketing/Communications.
- Possess a positive attitude with the ability to make delegates, members and vendors feel welcome
- High level of organizational skills, both personally and on a team basis.
- Strong attention to detail and follow-up skills
- Superior interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Strong level of customer service and problem-solving capacity
- Exceptional writing and communication skills. Bilingual (French/English) a definite asset
- Professional appearance and attitude when working with industry stakeholders and members of the public service
- High level of personal integrity, honesty and dependability
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Ability to manage time and prioritize
- Willingness to work extended hours (periodically as required) and travel to event sites is required
- A keen interest in learning and continuous improvement of processes and systems
- Strong experience working with Microsoft Office including MS Teams and MS Project (a definite asset)
- Full time position with complete benefits package after 3-month probation period
- 2 weeks paid vacation
- 1 day in lieu for each event worked
- Remote work option available, keeping office hours 830AM-5PM
- Salary - to be discussed
In addition to TIAC's advocacy efforts, the organization delivers a range of publications, research documents and tools to help its members. TIAC also produces and manages industry events such as the annual Tourism Congress, Canadian Tourism Awards, Tourism Week in Canada, Tourism Town Hall Series, Rendez-vous Canada and Member TALK, a monthly member meeting. TIAC Members enjoy exclusive event savings and benefits in addition to various opportunities and resources.
MORE ABOUT OUR EVENTS
May 30 to June 2, 2023 | Quebec City
For over 45 years, Rendez-vous Canada (RVC) has developed a reputation as Canada's premier marketplace connecting international buyers with Canadian sellers of tourism products. RVC is an important industry trade platform for Canadians to launch new tourism products, share market insights for the benefit of sellers, view other products through a competitive lens and increase the range of tourism experiences that the Canadian tourism industry has to offer. Rendez-vous Canada is a gateway to tourism experiences from every region of Canada for the travel professionals who attend this four-day event.
Tourism Congress 2022
NOV. 22-23, 2022 | The Westin Ottawa
TIAC’s Tourism Congress is the Canadian tourism industry's annual must-attend event, one of the largest gatherings for the industry each year and the only industry event attended by the full suite of sectors that make up the industry (transportation, accommodations, recreation, travel services, and food and beverage). Congress hosts more than 400 delegates from across the industry, including key decision-makers from both the private and public sectors. It presents delegates with the opportunity to network and learn alongside industry professionals from coast to coast to coast.
Canadian Tourism Awards
NOV 23. 2022 | The Westin Ottawa
The Canadian Tourism Awards are presented annually TIAC to recognize success, leadership, and innovation in Canada's tourism industry, and to reward those people, places, organizations, and events that have gone above and beyond to offer travellers superior tourism experiences in Canada. The Canadian Tourism Awards have become the standard of excellence for businesses and organizations in the travel industry, showcasing the nation's best tourism products, services, and experiences; and is presented annually at Tourism Congress 2022.
It is the Tourism Industry Association of Canada’s goal to be a welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from the LGBTQ2+ community and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
Please forward resume and cover letter, along with your salary expectations and possible start date by August 23, 2022, to:
Orie Berlasso (she/her), VP Events & Engagement
Tourism Industry Association of Canada
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.