Province: Ottawa, Ontario
Position: Director of Communications & Media Relations
Deadline: November 26, 2021
Posted: November 4, 2021
Job Description / Duties
The Director, Communications & Media Relations, under the direction of the President and CEO, will primarily be responsible to develop and implement communication strategies to support the work of the organization, including advocacy, events, and member engagement. Using all the tools of the trade, the Director will ensure that TIAC remains the authoritative voice on all topics related to the travel and tourism industry. The Director will also oversee the promotion of branding initiatives consistent with corporate business goals and objectives, ensuring all products, services, and other offerings conform to brand identity while conducting ongoing brand management.
- Develop and implement communication strategies that support advocacy campaigns, TIAC events, and member engagement & growth.
- Develop and implement media relations strategies that support advocacy campaigns and TIAC events.
- Working with the Brand Manager, design and implement a communications style guide for the organization.
- Track and evaluate the success of communication strategies, and provide and implement recommendations for improvement
- Identify and execute on strategic opportunities for organizational growth
- Contribute to the development of – and tracking the progress and effectiveness of – TIAC’s advocacy and government relations efforts;
- Support the communication of the industry’s policy positions to decision makers and preparing submissions for government consultations;
- Research and draft remarks for CEO and senior management presentations to industry, government and public audiences;
- Write and edit concise and engaging press releases, briefing notes, advocacy letters, decks, and position papers;
- Develop strategic performance metrics and targets that are consistent with company goals
- Liaise between all departments to ensure communication and media relations strategies is being supported and delivered
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Attention to Detail - Attends to details and pursues quality in the accomplishment of tasks
- Priorities Setting – Capacity to establish priorities and effectively manage high demands in a fast-paced environment
- Communication - Expresses and transmits information with consistency and clarity.
- Decision Making - Makes concrete, well-informed and thought-out decisions that support the overall organization. Has the ability to make quick, effective decisions even when data and details are limited.
- Innovative - Able to think outside of the box in order to develop creative and new solutions or products that meet current and future needs.
- Judgement - Ability to use sound reasoning when faced with various issues. Has the ability to make quick, effective decisions.
- Results-based Orientation - Able to focus on desired outcomes, and the means by which they are achieved by meeting and/or exceeding standards based on past performance, goals, and objectives, as well as the performance and/or achievements of others.
- Strategic Thinking - Analyzes and interprets the strategic direction of the organization. Has a clear and firm understanding of the vision, mission, values, and objectives of the workplace and uses that information to develop responsibilities, tasks, goals, and initiatives that align with long-term plans and growth.
- Knowledge of the Policy Environment – Be aware and interested in the role that government and policy plays in the economics of our industry.
Bilingualism is an asset
Salary: $65,000 - $90,000 plus benefits
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC) is the leading voice, representing the suite of sectors that make up the travel and tourism industry in Canada. At this pivotal time of rebuilding after the massive impacts of covid-19 and resulting restrictions, TIAC’s number one priority is keeping the lines of communication open with government, the media, members and other stakeholders. It is our goal to ensure that the industry’s needs are known by the decision makers and influencers that guide policy and support for the industry.