Position: Business Events Specialist, Tourism
Deadline: June 1, 2023
Posted: May 10, 2023
Job Description / Duties
Do you enjoy working in the tourism industry? Are you up to the challenge of competing globally for meetings and conferences? Are you a dynamic results-oriented person looking for a position that combines your sales and prospecting skills with the challenges of competing globally for business travel? Can you learn quickly and constantly adapt to changing conditions? If you have experience in lead generation, servicing and after-care, why not join our team?
Tourism Mississauga has an opportunity to further develop your career in the field of tourism and drive new business to grow our visitor economy. Reporting to the Manager of Tourism, and as a key member of the Tourism Mississauga team, the Tourism Business Events Coordinator will provide professional expertise in the conference and business events sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead or assist in the management and delivery of attracting new business travel opportunities and awareness of Mississauga’s tourism businesses including conference facilities and accommodation providers.
• Develop an annual work plan for Meetings and Conference Sector of the Tourism Industry
• Participate in planning during the annual budget/business planning cycle
• Research alternative/emerging best practices, processes, tools and techniques, and make recommendations as it relates to meeting and conference sector
• Provide consultation and advice to management and staff as required
• Plan/execute sales and promotional client outreach, tradeshows, familiarization tours and site inspections
• Assist with developing programs that will support new business events to the City
• Create and foster strong working relationships with team members, internal and external stakeholders
• Represent and act at local, regional, national, and international industry organizations deemed appropriate for business development opportunities
• Develop, solicit, and acquire business events to achieve annual defi nite room night goals in new market segments
• Manage budget associated with specific area/event responsibilities
• Attend and/or participate in client meetings, training programs and other required meetings
• Must be able to travel independently within the City and requires air travel
• Flexible evening and weekend shifts required
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Graduate of a post-secondary institution or related certification in Business Administration, Marketing, event planning, Tourism or related field is required
• Minimum of two years of experience in tourism and hospitality sector is essential
• Experience in professional sales or business development is an asset
• Demonstrated leadership capabilities along with excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
• Excellent computer and technology skills including Customer Relationship Management (CRM) & Microsoft Office Suite
• Self-motivated with strong oral, written and public presentation skills
• Excellent time management skills
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully with a broad range of stakeholders
• Business travel will be required
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 74,817.00 - $ 99,758.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Organization Unit: CMS/Tourism
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept, CMS/Tourism Division, Tourism
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
Applicants applying to this posting may be considered for the same position(s) should another vacancy occur within six months from the date of this posting, unless the requirement to repost is expressed differently in a Collective Agreement.
If you are selected for an interview and your proposed transfer or promotion results in a real or perceived conflict of interest in relation to the Employment of Relatives Corporate Policy and Procedure, you must notify the Human Resources Representative as soon as possible.
If you are selected for an interview you are expected to disclose all current positions held in the City, whether full-time or part-time.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act,2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation (s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
Salary: $ 74,817.00 - $ 99,758.00
Please click on the following link to apply for the position: https://jobs.mississauga.ca/job-invite/23407/
Working for Tourism Mississauga means you are part of something big, something special! You will be part for a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated people that are driven to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors and businesses of Mississauga.