COVID-19 | Impact on Tourism
Let's work together to re-open our doors faster and keep them open.
Getting vaccinated is the quickest way for all of us to re-open. Faster Together, a coalition of Canadian businesses and organizations is promoting the COVID-19 vaccine – and you can help.
Access their free-to-use digital toolkit, which includes social media shareables, newsletter banners, and more, to help get the word out.
Open the Can-U.S. Border Campaign
TIAC announced the launch of a new campaign to call on the federal government to plan for reopening the Canada-U.S. border, which has been closed for nearly 15 months. The campaign focuses on getting Canadian decision-makers to acknowledge the urgent need and to commit to a date to open the border before the summer tourism season is lost.
Proof of Vaccination
TIAC believes that proof of vaccination for international travel should become a common part of travelers’ travel documents moving forward. TIAC prefers to use the term ‘proof of vaccination’ as opposed to ‘vaccine passport’ as ‘passport’ infers being mandatory and that all health information must be shared.
What TIAC is Doing for Members
COVID-19 Financial Supports
To help your business get through the pandemic, the Government of Canada has extended emergency supports and developed COVID-19 support and resources.
COVID-19 Financial Supports:
- Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA)
Provides interest-free loans of up to $60,000 – apply by June 30
- Highly Affected Sectors Credit Availability Program (HASCAP)
Low-interest loans to cover operational needs for hard‑hit businesses
- Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS)
Helps cover commercial rent or property expenses
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
Helps cover employee wages to maintain and hire staff
COVID-19 Awareness Resources
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), in collaboration with other departments, has developed a number of free resources to help Canadians stay safe, healthy and informed.
COVID-19 awareness resources:
- Canada Business app: Navigate government services and get notifications.
- ArriveCAN app: Allows travellers entering the country to speed up the arrival process in Canada and spend less time with border services and public health officers.
- COVID Alert app: Lets people know of possible exposures before any symptoms appear.
- COVID-19 App and Symptom tracker: Provides the latest updates, trusted resources, and a tool to self-assess and track symptoms.
- Wellness Together Canada: Offers free mental health and substance abuse online resources, tools, apps and connections to qualified people when needed.